General

Are coleus poisonous to dogs

Are coleus poisonous to dogs


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Are coleus poisonous to dogs and cats?

Written by sina ji

Share

Tweet

Share

Pin

Email

A coleus (Calystegia spp.) plant with white and yellow flowers is photographed in San Diego, California, U.S., on Apr. 13, 2014. (Photograph by Mark E. Peterson/Corbis/Getty Images)

Coleus are poisonous to dogs and cats. Photo by Mark E. Peterson/Corbis/Getty Images

Coleus are poisonous to dogs and cats.

Introduction

Coleus are poisonous to dogs and cats. Coleus are usually a tropical plant, and they are known by various names depending on the colour of the flowers, including butterfly bush and African marigold. Some of the varieties are known to be poisonous to dogs and cats, but others may be perfectly safe to pets.

The toxicity of a plant is usually determined by its constituents. Most toxic plants are plants that contain or are high in alkaloids. Plants that contain poisonous alkaloids usually are toxic to dogs and cats, while some poisonous plants contain only inorganic salts such as potassium and sodium. Some plants may contain small amounts of various poisonous compounds.

There are numerous species of coleus, and most of them are not poisonous. However, some varieties may be harmful to pets. The most common cause of toxicity in plants is water, and pets are usually poisoned by drinking the water. When a plant is crushed, certain chemicals called alkaloids can be released. Dogs and cats usually eat the plant in order to get some nutrients, and the alkaloids may affect their digestion. When plants are eaten in large amounts, the leaves, flowers or fruits can cause vomiting or diarrhoea.

Dogs usually get poisoned by drinking water in which the coleus plant has been soaking.

Other Symptoms of Poisoning

Pet dogs and cats may be poisoned by eating or drinking plants that are poisonous to them. Some of the less common symptoms of poisoning from eating or drinking a poisonous plant are:

vomiting

diarrhoea

lack of energy

nausea

unusual behaviour or weakness

seizures (convulsions)

prolonged vomiting and diarrhoea may indicate poisoning by poisoning by poisoning by alkaloids.

Symptoms of alkaloid poisoning tend to be more severe than those of other types of poisoning. However, dogs and cats can be poisoned by eating or drinking plants that are not poisonous. These plants usually contain small amounts of various alkaloids, which are not harmful to pets.

Most poisonous plants are high in alkaloids, including the leaves, roots, stems, flowers, and fruits. Some alkaloids, such as alkaloids, are not harmful to pets. However, some kinds of plants contain very large amounts of alkaloids, which can be toxic to pets.

Diagnosis

Most cases of poisonous plant poisoning in dogs and cats are diagnosed the same way as any other poisoning. In general, the veterinarian has to look for one or more of the following:

The pet will need a thorough check-up to determine if there are any other, possible causes of vomiting, diarrhoea and other symptoms.

Sometimes it can be difficult to pinpoint the exact plant that has been eaten, because some animals will eat more than one plant at a time.

Treatment

Treatment of Poisonous Plant Poisoning

If there is suspicion that the animal is poisoned, or if it is already showing symptoms of poisoning, the veterinarian will want to make sure the pet is still alive and stable enough to undergo emergency treatment.

The most important treatment for animals that are poisoned by plants is to induce vomiting.

Induction of vomiting, also called ptyalization or stomach pumping, is done by putting the animal under general anaesthesia. The veterinarian will give one or two injections to relax the muscles of the mouth, and then will pass a tube down the throat, down into the stomach and back out through the rectum. Once the vomiting has started, the veterinarian will continue to try to induce the animal to vomit repeatedly. If the animal does vomit, this is a good indication that it will survive.

If the animal refuses to vomit, or the vomitus is watery, then the vet will try a second induction of vomiting. If that fails, the vet will move on to other treatment options.

A blood sample will need to be taken.

After the animal has been taken to the veterinary clinic, the next steps will depend on whether or not it is a serious case of poisoning.

Treatment of Poisonous Plant Poisoning - Dogs and Cats

In most cases, dogs and cats do not respond in the same way as the human patient. Depending on the dose of the plant involved, symptoms may vary greatly in duration. Vomiting is the most important treatment for an animal that has been poisoned by plants. If the animal won't vomit after repeated attempts, then a second induction of vomiting may be necessary. While it is normal to be frightened when the veterinarian is attempting to ptyalize the pet, this is a necessary part of the medical examination. If the animal is having a seizure, the veterinarian will be able to determine the cause of the seizure and decide on the best treatment. For non-life-threatening cases, the animal may be given fluids and monitored, and in severe cases, sedation may be required.

Treatment of Insect Poisoning - Dogs and Cats

Dogs and cats are often poisoned by mosquitoes and other insects, and their symptoms and prognosis vary depending on the insect involved. Some insects (e.g. the brown recluse spider) have been known to cause severe disease and death. Other insects cause only minor problems and can be easily managed. As with other cases of animal poisoning, the most common symptom is vomiting. If the animal won't vomit, then the veterinarian will need to administer the appropriate ptyalization. In cases of serious insect poisoning, animals may also be given fluids. In severe cases of insect poisoning, sedation may be necessary.

Other Poisoning Cases

A variety of other cases may be detected and treated by a veterinary clinician, including cases of toxicity, toxicosis, intoxication, and poisoning. While the symptoms associated with these cases vary, the most common sign in all cases is vomiting. A veterinarian may be able to determine the cause of poisoning through careful evaluation of history, physical examination, and laboratory tests. If necessary, the veterinarian will be able to determine the best course of treatment. In many cases, an animal can recover fully with prompt treatment.

What We Do

What We Do

As one of the most highly-respected veterinary practices in the greater Philadelphia region, PA Veterinary Specialists is dedicated to the highest standards of veterinary care. Our team of expert clinicians, technicians and support staff are committed to the health and well-being of your family pet. We are proud to offer complete primary, emergency, and specialty


Watch the video: 10 Τροφές Που Μπορούν Να Σκοτώσουν Το Σκύλο Σας Επικίνδυνες u0026 Τοξικές! (June 2022).


Comments:

  1. Voshakar

    Which I didn't say.

  2. Cidro

    I hope everyone is normal

  3. Kazrasho

    fu quality

  4. Slaed

    How could it not be better!

  5. Kester

    remarkably, the very valuable idea

  6. Daigrel

    Very funny phrase



Write a message